The Next Global Breadbasket: How Latin America Can Feed the World
“A report sponsored by the Inter-American Development Bank and the Global Harvest Initiative.”
Addressing humanity’s great challenge — finding sustainable ways to feed rapidly increasing numbers of people while satisfying the evolving and diverse dietary needs of a growing global middle class — is Latin America’s great opportunity. Across Latin America and the Caribbean, a more productive and environmentally sustainable agriculture system holds great promise for achieving food security around the world — as well as for the region’s development, for poverty alleviation and for social progress.
Unique Multi-Stakeholder Approach
Drawing on the knowledge and experiences of more than 30 public and private sector partners — working in and for the LAC region — this report offers a set of issues, recommendations and action items for governments and policy makers, the donor community, farmers and agribusiness, and civil society.
With Key Policy Recommendations On:
- Increasing public investments in agricultural research and development
- Reinvigorating agricultural extension services
- Modernizing rural infrastructure
- Increasing efficiency in irrigation and water management and promoting greater adoption of mechanized agriculture
- Eliminating import and export barriers to agricultural trade and productivity
- Advancing agricultural financing and investment opportunities for smallholder farmers
- Strengthening producer associations and cooperatives
- Preventing post-harvest losses